When it comes to picking a lawyer, there is one good rule to follow if you are a man. A good friend mentioned this and I ran with it!
I believe men trying to win custody should have a female lawyer (see The Top 10 Things You Need to Know). I know what some of you men are thinking… “thoughts” or “fantasies” more accurately about a female lawyer and what could happen those late nights you are prepping for court. Well, that’s a different type of blog and not mine! No “Dear Penthouse” fantasies here. In REALITY-LAND, it really works to your advantage (it did for me) and accomplishes a few things for you:
- It won’t look the “boys club” beating up on a defenseless woman. I know this seems sexist, but we live in reality. In reality, impression is everything!
- It gives you the appearance of having a woman believing in your ability to be a parent. Your lawyer may be single and childless, but she gives the impression that other moms approve of you being the parent.
- She will have a slightly better insight into the mind of your soon-to-be ex… a woman.
- You may find yourself opening up to her more easily. If you don’t… she will pull it out of you.
- It will keep inner “subconscious” sexist statements from coming out – even accidentally. Especially if the lawyer is an older “mom” type figure.